Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 74

Thread: Deep Throat

  1. #51
    crimsonson
    Guest crimsonson's Avatar

    Post

    I am actually glad to see a discussion about politics, social attitudes and others non technical matters. I sometimes wonder if technical matters are the only aspect of super 8 filmmaking. I'm glad we take the time and devote some emotional and intellectual resources to look at the world beyond the frame. I mean, you can't really make a movie about how Super8Sound does not have great customer sevice... well I guess you can but the audience and emotional depth would be just limited. Matt P as protaginist and Roger would be the antagonist since he has had great experience with the company and the owner himself. ALex, hmmmm... smoking/cancer dude a la X Files- you just cant pin him down. wink

    Alex - lighten up
    Chas - IMHO you were out of line. Ad hominem.

    ------------------

  2. #52
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crimsonson:
    Matt, I have to disagree with this one.
    I think you have made it a little to simplistic.
    I think Alex is correct that she is a very famous American Icon internationaly. She is one of the few celebrities that have transcended her period of existance. She is the cause countless movies, books, countless parodies, impersinators and blonde wigs & white dresses sold during Holloween. However, notice that I use celebrity not actress. Since the success of the MM image is not artistry but her sexual appeal she exentuates with a sincere touch of vulnerability, boredering on child like vulnerablity- a school girl. And to females it might be that sexuality - a trait that we in a patriachal society deemed as true female power, find appealing. However, I think you will agree that it is a limited power at best and an illusion at worst. And this is sexist, it limits the success of woman because we create a goal and promises of rewards for an individual. But upon further examination it furthers nobody except the individual. It does not contribute to our society. It reflects a shallow image - two dimensional.

    But the artisitic actress/actor becomes a college course. They become a gate to the examination of human emotion, psychology and social expectations, in short it furthers us scientificly and artisticly. Its a human contribution. But for a sexual celebrity it only further proves the obvious(of any cultures sexual appetite) and there is no RISK. And that situation is dangerous. A woman's goal in our society becomes short sighted. Those who have the talent, the guts to risk and skill to offer to further our culture are repressed and forgotten. I am not belittling the importance of MM. But would anybody wants us to let our sons and daughters to study the importance of MM in college or a Sylvia Platt? Her sexuality is important but it does cast a large unecessary shadow, over real achievements that we ALL can enjoy. Not just the celebrated individual.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Perhaps I think this too is well written because it agrees with my viewpoint!

    ------------------
    Alex

  3. #53
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 56films:
    alex,
    construction not criticism
    help not heat

    please calm down.


    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    The quote Matt referred to I had immediately deleted after I originally posted it.

    Matt's post is an hour after mine.

    How the original post stayed up of an hour after I deleted it is beyond me.

    Did you guys bother to check my edited version, which was done immediately after originally posting my response.

    It's a shame you guys don't get it.

    About once a month, Chas gets real nasty,

    Is this a PMS thing Chas?

    ------------------
    Alex

  4. #54
    crimsonson
    Guest crimsonson's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex:


    About once a month, Chas gets real nasty,

    Is this a PMS thing Chas?

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Can't Be. He is not a feminist. wink

    ------------------

  5. #55
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks Mike.

    Although why Chas comes out of nowhere with the original inappropriate comment that starts it is beyond me.

    Chaz's earlier comment was so blatantly inflammatory, yet it was neither funny or true.

    ------------------
    Alex

  6. #56
    MikeBrantley
    Guest MikeBrantley's Avatar

    Post

    There is nothing inherently wrong with this topic -- only our apparant inability to discuss it intelligently without devolving into insults and name calling. I'll have to close this thread in short order if things don't cool off. The early posts in the thread are thoughtful, considered and polite. The latter ones are not. Disagreements are OK if we treat each other with respect at all times.

    Apparently Alex posted something extremely inflammatory and then immediately reconsidered and deleted his comments. Thank you, Alex, for doing that, but please consider your comments before submitting your post in the first place. As you can see from being quoted by another user, when you click on that button you publish your words globally. Editing them out doesn't mean the original remarks were unseen.

    I see other instances of name calling I don't like. Cool it, everybody.

    I deleted a post by Matt that directly quotes a line by Alex that was edited out of Alex's post by the author. It had the F-word in it, which is a no-no. I don't want to see it even in quoted material.

    The thread stays open for now, but it is in grave jeopardy.

    Sigh.


    ------------------
    --Mike Brantley

    [This message has been edited by MikeBrantley (edited October 20, 2001).]

  7. #57
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    The reason I ask is because it just reads like a bunch of ranting against each other.
    Its hardly a discussion.
    So long as it makes you happy.(but if you ask me <sure no one did> it doesnt seem to.)

    ------------------

  8. #58
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eddie:
    The reason I ask is because it just reads like a bunch of ranting against each other.
    Its hardly a discussion.
    So long as it makes you happy.(but if you ask me <sure no one did> it doesnt seem to.)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


    You asked a legitimate question a few posts back about how does this help your super-8 filmmaking. Chas used your question as a reason to attack and slander me.

    If Chas hadn't melted down, (and by the way, by you not replying to Chas, you allow your own question to be superceded by his off-topic and idiotic response) my answer to you would have been the following.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The next time someone gets solicited into doing a "Marilyn" type story, whatever the format,

    consider telling the story from the point of view who of someone who was around the skankerstar, and perhaps were either personally harmed by the skanks wake, or witnessed how the skank just harmed others in general.

    RATHER than use the filmmaking opportunity to make more of the same skank channel, same skank time.

    Unless your goal is to help keep Super-8 alive just by shooting it......

    What you point your Super-8 camera at is as important as the act of shooting.



    ------------------
    Alex

  9. #59
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex:

    You asked a legitimate question a few posts back about how does this help your super-8
    filmmaking. Chas used your question as a reason to attack and slander me.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Within the same breath, Alex went on to write this:

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex:

    The next time someone gets solicited into doing a "Marilyn" type story, whatever the format, consider telling the story from the point of view who of someone who was around the skankerstar, and perhaps were either personally harmed by the skanks wake, or witnessed how the skank just harmed others in general.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Is it just me? Or does anyone else see the irony in condeming slander then following up with a sentence that uses the word "skank" three times to describe someone?

    Alex, you don't have any issues with women, do you? wink

    Roger

  10. #60
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    Perhaps you have forgotten Roger, but someone made a joke about saying skank earlier in this thread.

    Marilyn has been called a sex symbol a billion times, calling her a skank symbol 20 times ain't gonna change her mark in history, afterall, it's just a lonely cry in the wildernerness.

    I definitely have an issue with giving more air time to woman skanks than to woman who achieved more in their lifetimes than Marilyn did.

    So, if I have an issue with women, it's with the representation of Marilyn over all other women.

    ------------------
    Alex

    [This message has been edited by Alex (edited October 21, 2001).]

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •